Why Do SanDisk Extreme Portable SSDs Fail?
In the past few months, users with 2 TB and 4 TB SanDisk Extreme and SanDisk Extreme Pro Portable SSDs have reported sudden data loss. The problem with the solid-state drives seems limited to units released in 2023. The 4 TB external SSDs are the most affected model.
From the cases we have seen, the firmware bug appears to scramble allocation metadata. Without allocation metadata, the device cannot manage the distribution of data between storage cells. As a result, files start to disappear, forcing some users to consider data recovery options.
How To Recover SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD Yourself
Western Digital announced a firmware update is coming for the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD and SanDisk Extreme Pro Portable SSD, but there are options for those that need immediate assistance.
Our proprietary data recovery software successfully restores most of the files.
Follow these steps to retrieve data with SecureRecovery:
- Download the SecureRecovery software
- Select the location containing lost data. That is C: drive for most users.
- Select Quick File Search or Full Scan.
- Choose the relevant file or folder.
- Continue with the relevant subfolder if applicable.
- Select the file from the list on the right.
- Click … to select the output folder for recoverable files. That is the E: drive for most users.
- Click Recover in the bottom-right corner of the window. A status update will appear if successful.
- Click Finish in the bottom-right corner of the window.
The software detects traces of scrambled metadata and file indexes. Once located, it pieces the information together and retrieves the data. Sometimes the parent folder structure is lost in the process. However, the files inside them are unaffected. Most subfolders remain intact. Recovered files from missing directories are assigned to a Lost and Found folder.
In our experience, the software has delivered full or near-complete recoveries.
Professional SanDisk Data Recovery
If significant corruption exists, and the software does not detect the scrambled data, we can still help with SanDisk data recovery. Our engineers can use more advanced tools and techniques to reconstruct the files.
Since 2007, Secure Data Recovery has resolved thousands of cases and returned billions of files to our customers. We are the data recovery service with the most industry-specific certifications. We understand every data loss scenario, storage device, operating system, file system, and manufacturer. Our documented 96% success rate reflects that expertise.
Call 800-388-1266 to start a case and reclaim lost data.