Essential Guide to Data Recovery
Unexpected data loss in your work, school, or personal life can easily be one of the most devastating things to happen to you. Most data loss occurs after failing to properly use backup methods such as external hard drives, cloud storage, or flash drives.
By using our data loss prevention resources, you can protect important files on any type of computer or mobile device.
The key to preventing loss is preparation: Make sure to implement all available fail-safes, including antivirus software, built-in backup systems, and external data storage devices. This resource guide will help you through the process of backing up and restoring data from your Mac, PC, tablet, or mobile device.
We believe in providing our clients with the information that they need to make informed data recovery decisions. This section contains an overview of common backup procedures and technologies, including essential tips for preventing data loss on personal computers, tablets, smartphones and more.
Apple Mac Resources
Apple desktop and laptop computers offer intuitive functionality with built-in backup features, but data loss is still a serious issue for Mac users. These articles provide an overview of common threats and popular backup options for the Mac OS X operating system.
- Back Up and Restore Your IOS Device With iCloud or iTunes – This tutorial from Apple Support will teach you how to use iTunes and iCloud to back up your Mac.
- Protection for your Mac from Viruses – One of the easiest ways to lose data is for your machine to become infected with a virus or taken over by hackers. This article describes a few common ways to protect your Mac from outside influences.
- Employiong Data Loss Prevention Strategies – This article from Colorado College discusses the importance of backing up your information onto at least two different media, such as a flash drive and DVD/CD. It also suggests using an external hard drive and taking advantage of the Time Machine program.
- Setting Up And Using Time Machine – As a built-in data recovery system, the Time Machine program is a lifesaver for many Mac users.
- Backups Using Time Machine – Another short article about setting up Time Machine, restoring from saved backups, and transferring to a new hard drive.
- iCloud – Back Up IOS Device to iCloud – This resource describes how to manually and automatically back up a device using iCloud.
Microsoft Windows Based PC Information
For well over a decade, Microsoft's Windows has maintained its status as the world's most popular operating system for personal computers and servers. These links provide tips for preserving and encrypting files in various versions of Windows.
- Laptop Encryption – Taking the time to protect your PC is one of the most important steps you can take to prevent a disaster. This guide from the University of Texas Computer Science Department discusses the importance of frequent PC backups and data encryption.
- Backup and Restore Files in Windows XP – A step-by-step tutorial for backing up and restoring files in Windows XP by using the Backup and Restore Wizard.
- Recovering Unsaved Documents in Word for Windows – This tutorial from Microsoft Support describes how to recover lost Microsoft Word documents by searching for AutoRecover, Word Backup, and temporary files.
- Best Practices For Computer Security – Data loss often occurs due to a lack of computer security. In this thorough guide for Windows operating systems, common issues like home network security threats, maintaining current software, and the importance of password protection are addressed.
Tablet PC Resources
Tablets like the Apple iPad and Samsung Galaxy Tab still need regular backup. These resources provide backup guide for common tablet operating systems along with essential tips for preventing unauthorized file access.
- Backup or Restore Data on an Android Device – Learn how to encrypt, back up, and restore Android tablets by using the Android Debug Bridge command.
- Back Up, Access, and Share Your Files From Anywhere, Anytime (PDF) – This article explains how to use the storage program Dropbox, which is a great choice for backing up photos and documents from your tablet.
- Mobile Device Security Tips – Learn how to easily prevent data loss by following these simple tips from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Security Precautions For Mobile Handheld Devices – Cornell University offers a list of tips to keep your handheld device safe from hackers and malware.
Cell Phone and Mobile Devices
Smartphones have skyrocketed in popularity over the past decade, and mobile data loss is a growing problem for consumers. These articles provide helpful tips regarding mobile encryption, data loss, and security
- Mobile Devices and Wireless – This article explains the importance of protecting mobile devices and offers many helpful suggestions for encrypting data.
- Top 10 Ways to Secure Your Mobile Phone – In this checklist and video, many easy ways to protect your mobile device from data loss are discussed.
- Mobile Device Security – These security measures from Syracuse University would be useful to anyone looking for information about how to keep their mobile device secure.
- Protect Your Smartphone Against Hackers – Mobile security is important, and this FAQ about the best ways to keep mobile data safe is sure to be helpful for many users.
- Preventing Device Theft – This resource contains valuable information about backing up and encrypting mobile data.
- Mobile Device Security Guidelines – There are many easy ways to secure your data and protect your device against theft.
- How To Back Up An iPhone, iPad, or iPad Touch Using iCloud – In this article, PC Mag describes how to use iCloud as an easy and accessible way to back up your mobile device.
- Smartphone and Tablet Encryption and Security – This page explains the importance of encryption-like passcode lock, fingerprints, and routine backups-for iPhone, Android, and Blackberry devices.
Employiong Data Loss Prevention Strategies requires a basic understanding of storage technology. These links provide additional information for securing and protecting digital information, including introductory guides for cloud storage and other new loss prevention tools.
- Back Up To The Cloud And Prevent a Data Loss Disaster – This article from Popular Mechanics explains how to use cloud storage.
- Steps for Securing Your Computer – The best way to protect your data from hackers and viruses is through the use of strong passwords, a firewall, and a backup device.
- Cloud Storage (PDF) – This resource from Baylor University describes the pros and cons of each cloud storage program available right now.
- Employiong Data Loss Prevention Strategies (PDF) – Data loss can be prevented through network, endpoint, and channel-specific solutions.
- Encrypting Stored Data – This guide to data encryption from the University of Minnesota offers tips for Mac, PC, and Unix systems.