We all know that the first step to preventing data loss is being diligent about backing up our files. But, if you’re going to backup important data, you want to do so on a reliable storage device, right? So, what are some of the best storage devices out there right now? Whether you’re looking for external hard drives, raid units, or usb devices we’ve compiled a list of some of the top storage devices available today.
Five of the Best Storage Devices On the Market:
- G-Technology G RAID: This is a professional RAID storage solution. Though it is a bit pricey, hovering around $1,000 in most places, it’s worth the price. This device offers up to 8TB of space along with high speed USB 3.0 and firewire interfaces. It needs a power adapter, so it’s not exactly portable, but for a home or office it’s ideal.
- SanDisk Ultra Fit USB 3.0: This small and entirely portable USB device is a versatile option for data storage. Not only can it be used for general storage, but can also serve as additional space for laptops, phones, and tablets. Other than it’s small size making it easy to misplace, this USB device is great for anyone, and the price isn’t bad either.
- Elgato Thunderbolt Drive+ 512GB: This device comes in at just under $1,000 making it one of the more expensive on the list. This device is a thunderbolt compatible, SSD-based portable drive. It features an extra USB hookup that allows you to access your files from anywhere. The Elgato is fitted with the highest performance firmware and is made from top of the line materials. It also has the lowest average annualized fail rate of any storage device in the industry.
- IronKey: The IronKey storage devices are specifically designed to help prevent data loss. Not only does this device have the ability to ward off aggressive attacks, it also offers AES 256-bit hardware encryption. Important data will be safe and sound on an IronKey. Various sizes can be purchased from $100-$200 on average. It’s case is also waterproof and tamper-evident. This little USB device is well worth the price with all of it’s special security features and encryption hardware.
- Promise Pegasus2 RAID Storage with Thunderbolt: The Pagasus line offers some of the absolute best storage options around. These offer either 4 or 6 disc storage and data transfer rates of up to 800MB/s. The top end R8 device comes with 32TB of storage when configured for RAID 5. RAID 0,1, 6, 10, 50, and 60 are also supported. This device allows you to both store and move massive amounts of data with absolute ease. One of these storage devices hovers around $1,500 on average.
The devices on this list are all top of the line in the storage industry. They are safe, offer a good amount of space, and are some of the most reliable devices money can be. If you’re going to backup important information, whether it’s personal or professional, choosing one of the devices listed here is your best bet.
Remember, even if you always remember to backup your data loss can still occur. That’s why having better, more reliable backup devices is so important. This minimizes the risk that data loss will occur through corruption, damage, or hacking.