Earlier this month, Google announced the release of its new lightweight, low-power Chromebook 11 manufactured by HP. The new Chromebook is a significant upgrade from the previously released Samsung Chromebook.
The Chromebook 11
The Google and HP collaboration released with a $279 price tag, which is a slight increase over the $250 suggested retail price of the Samsung version. Each Chromebook was manufactured with ARM-based Exynos 5250 processor, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage and two USB ports along with 11-inch displays, each with a resolution of 1366 by 768 pixels.
The real differences with between the previous version of the Chromebook and the Chromebook 11 are design and fine-tuning. The new Chromebook 11 is reportedly built with a sturdier magnesium frame, which is touted as being nearly a tenth of a pound lighter while providing less flex.
The most significant change between the versions of Chromebook is the increase in viewing angle. The new Chromebook 11 is said to have a viewing angle of 176-degrees. Google also states that the new speaker system is "finely tuned" and placed under the keyboard for a direct projection of sound toward the user.
In another major design change, the new Chromebook 11 has lost its previous charging cable and moved to a micro-USB cord. This should reduce the amount of cables that a Google product user will have to carry around as the Chromebook and Android phone charging cables will be identical.
Included with the purchase of a Chromebook 11 are several value-added services. First, Google includes 100GB of cloud storage with Google's cloud service, Google Drive, for up to two years. The company will also include 12 free GoGo in-flight internet sessions for Chromebook 11 users on the go.
- Screen - 11.6" display with 16:9 aspect ratio (IPS Panel), 1366 x 768, 60% Color Gamut, 300 nit screen, Wide viewing angle (176 degree)
- CPU - Exynos 5 Dual (5250) Application Processor
- Memory - 2GB (4x 4Gbit) DDR3 RAM, 16GB Solid State Drive
- Audio - Combined headphone/microphone jack, digitally-tuned speakers with sound ported up through the keyboard
- Battery - Up to 6 hours of active use (30 Wh battery)
- Network - Dual-band WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n, Bluetooth 4.0, Verizon LTE connectivity (optional and coming soon)
- Inputs - Chrome keyboard, Fine-tuned, clickable touchpad, VGA Webcam
- Ports - 2 x USB 2.0, Micro-SIM slot (3G and 4G/LTE model only), Micro USB for 15.75W charging and SlimPort video out
- Industrial design - Magnesium chassis for strength, Available in black or white with a choice of 4 accent colors, Silent, fanless design, No visible screws, vents, or speakers
- Size - 297 x 192 x 17.6 mm
- Weight - 2.3lb / 1.04kg
- Goodies - 100 GB Google Drive cloud storage, free for two years, 60-day free trial with Google Play Music All Access