- Amazon Kindle - When I think of summer, I think of books. As a tech expert, I do my best to stay updated on the latest white papers and industry information. The Kindle app allows me to download all of the online magazines I need, as well as some of the books I like to read for fun as well. You really do not get a feel for how versatile this app is until you start using it.
- Grill-It! - If you find yourself spending a lot of time in front of a grill during the summer, then you need the Grill-It! app. Not only does this app give you access to all of the best grill recipes for steaks, ribs, and other popular foods; but it can also answer questions on topics such as grill maintenance and safety while cooking.
- Hotel Tonight - I travel for business and pleasure during the summer more than any other time of the year. Sometimes I never know if I will need a hotel or not. The thing I like about the Hotel Tonight app is that it was designed to get you immediate accommodations no matter where you are. I have found a lot of great deals when I was out on the road using this app.
- Spotify - Music and summer go together like peanut butter and jelly. I have tried just about every streaming music app and they all have their pros and cons, but Spotify seems a bit more intuitive than the others. It connects to your Facebook account, which gives the app a chance to learn a lot about you as it helps to sift through your library of music.
- Netflix - Until you have actually spent a couple of hours on the deck of a bar that overlooks the ocean while you are watching a movie on your tablet using the Netflix app, then you have no idea how convenient this app really is. When it is time to unwind, there are few things more relaxing than a good movie and a good sunset.
- Surfline - I know enough about surfing to get myself in a lot of trouble, and I like to give it a try a few times during the summer. Since I am not an avid surfer, I like using the Surfline app to help me find a wave when I do have the time.
- Photosynth - As a professional who has a vested interest in security, I like to be able to capture as much of my surroundings as I can. That is why I specifically got a Windows-based smartphone so I could use the Photosynth app. This is the premier app for creating 360-degree panoramic images of everything from the data center and storage equipment of our biggest customer to the sun rising over the beach.
Have a great summer with your tech!
When you have the right apps on your mobile computing device, then summer becomes much more fun. The best apps are the ones that allow you to combine business and pleasure. During the summer, combining business and pleasure is something that I take very seriously.